An email update as of 11/19/2014 from HSE Schools!
If you’re affected by this and wish to consider a housing switch, we understand. Our family is in the same boat!
Contact Realtor Dan Irish to start a conversation on the housing process!
Dear HSE Community,
Significant progress on the redistricting plan has been made, and Hamilton Southeastern is precisely on the schedule outlined at the beginning of the process. Many questions have arisen on how this unique “Community Driven – Board Decision” works. Please consider the following important points of clarification in order to gain a better understanding:
- A “Community Driven – Board Decision” process means that the community is building the best redistricting plan for our school district. Such a process requires numerous iterations of draft plans.
- HSE started with the three geographical clusters in our district. Three teams each were assembled within each cluster for a total of nine teams. These nine teams developed nine draft redistricting prototypes.
- The nine prototypes were reduced to three options, based on the Board of School Trustees’ criteria for success. The three options were reviewed by the Redistricting Committee and changes were made and shared for public review.
- Over 700 people participated in the input sessions. In addition, the three plans were placed on-line for additional feedback. An astounding 3600 people offered their thoughts on the three draft plans. The purpose was to find the best parts of the three plans and identify the components that needed to be changed.
As a result of community input, the next iteration of the redistricting plan is now being developed. This new plan option incorporates many of the excellent ideas generated from the public meetings and the on-line survey that will be reflected in the next redistricting draft.
The next step is critical. There is an internal HSE staff meeting on November 21st to examine a working draft. The focus of this meeting is to answer one question: “Does this plan work?” For example, staff will consider whether the bus routes work and determine what other critical factors have been missed. Principals will be a part of this review, giving an added perspective that is essential to building an optimal plan.
On December 1st, there will be a Redistricting Committee meeting that will look at the draft of the “Preferred Redistricting Plan.” The plan will be reviewed and changes made as appropriate before it will be released for public review.
On Thursday, December 4th, the plan will be posted on HSE’s Web Site, http://www.hse.k12.in.us/ADM/home.aspx , along with a short survey. Again, your input is vital as we approach the final stages of the process. The following meetings are open to any member of the community seeking additional information on the HSE “Preferred Redistricting Plan”:
- On Monday, December 8th at 7:00 P.M. at Fishers Junior High School the Board will have a Board Meeting/Work Session. This will be the Board’s opportunity to understand the details of the plan. This meeting is informational only with no public comment.
- On Wednesday, December 10th at 7:00 P.M. at Fishers High School, Café “A” the Board will conduct a public hearing on the proposed redistricting plan. The public will be invited to make comments on the plan in accordance with the Board rules for making public comments.
- On Monday, December 15th at 7:00 P.M. at Fishers Junior High School, the Board will be presented the final “Preferred Redistricting Plan” for vote.
This is where we are in the process at this time. No final decisions have been made. Your assistance and input is still needed to bring this community-driven effort to a successful conclusion. I realize just how many iterations this plan has gone through to get to the recommendation step, but these are the necessary steps in creating a model that is truly a “Community Driven – Board Decision.” I believe, with all my heart, this plan will be the best plan for our students, and I thank you for your participation in the process.
Dr. Bill Carnes
Hamilton Southeastern School Corporation